Loch Coruisk

Day 3 and 4 had turned out to be one of the most extraordinary experiences of all our outdoor pursuits to date.
As mentioned previously planning of our activities had been pretty much random. COVID19 pandemic restrictions meant that one could only book boat trips since yesterday (19th June) which is when these were lifted. Of course, all boat journeys have been booked within the first day (when we were busy exploring the misty Fairyland around the Old man of Storr).

When we phoned up to book the boat to take us from Elgol to Loch Coruisk we were advised not to turn up as all trips were fully booked for that day. Knowing that people in this part of the world are always willing to chat we thought we would do just that. We turned up for the boat that had been scheduled for 10 am and missed it but the next one was at 1.30. And guess what? There was a cancelation so we were able to get on!

We asked the lady in the local Ice cream shop at the harbour if we appear casual. Absolutely was the reply. The reason for this was that we had a lot of gear as we endeavored to set up a second camp (CAMP 1) on the loch. It meant to transport 2 small tents, 3 sleeping bags and mats, kayak, food, and all other additional gear such as swimming goggles, soft toys, binoculars, cameras, and others. 

30 minute trip on a board of the Maid of Coruisk with a detour to see the seal island...

We chatted to the captain of the boat about our options to return the next day only when we arrived. All passengers of the boat had about an hour to explore the south bank of Loch Coruisk before returning to Elgol. Captain indicated that although he can't guarantee it, our best chance of catching a returning boat was to be at the harbour by the memorial hut by 10.30 tomorrow morning. This boat was likely to have fewer passengers thus able to take us.
Walking up the vertical 100 or so meters plus the distance of a few hundred meters with all the gear on our backs was not an easy task. Kayak inflated (dodgy pump watch out!), gear loaded, camp set up!

Once we set our camp up upon our arrival at the side of the Loch, we suddenly realised that we didn't get in touch with the control centre (O and O mum Anicka) since last night. Having to rush in the morning, being busy with all the loading, kayaking and having fun it somehow escaped us.
A sense of panic had set on us as there no mobile signal was to be found anywhere here!

We set to get back to the seaside where the boat dropped us in a bid to look for a signal, unfortunately, without any success. What do we do now?

Luckily for us, there was this couple that just finished their wedding shoot and a boat with a friendly captain was about to leave. They were the only people here at this point (19:30 pm). We asked the captain of the boat if he knew a spot where we could catch a signal but he said that there was none neither here nor back in Elgol!

Suddenly the captain came up with a suggestion: 'I can radio the harbour to telephone your number if you want. What's the message?' It didn't take us long to come up with a message which was along these lines: ' We are safe, no signal to phone you, will call you tomorrow. A special message from Oona: I love you, mum.' When discussing this with Anicka back in Glasgow a few days later, she explained that an unknown man had phoned her and passed on the above massage to her. She explained that if she didn't hear from us she would probably alert the police as it's been now over 24 hours (which would become a lot more by the morning!).